Sunday satisfaction and baked potato soup.

3.18.2012

Happy day-after St. Patrick's day my dear friends.  


The past few days I have been very aware of those small things which bring us real & simple satisfaction. I find lists themselves satisfying, so that is how I choose to share my thoughts with you today. The list that follows is by no means exhaustive, but is representative of my life as of late. 

  1. Indulging, slowly savoring a new issue of Vogue.
  2. Reading the Shape Issue of Vogue while eating BBQ potato chips. 
  3. Slicing the tops from strawberries. 
  4. Enjoying the cool breeze that slips through the bathroom window, in an otherwise stuffy apartment. 
  5. Recognizing holidays in some appropriate fashion. We got our Irish on yesterday with some Guinness served in chilled mason jars and baked potato soup (the recipe for which you'll find below).
  6. Mashing potatoes for aforementioned soup.
  7. Washing the day away with these bad boys. 
  8. Boasting first place in my in-law's annual march madness bracket competition. (Considering I know nothing about college basketball).
  9. Discovering Joy the Baker tweeted about my shoes.
  10. Knowing I have dear friends who share in my daydreams. 
Baked Potato Soup (a healthier version of a historically heavy soup)A recipe from my mother... origin unknown to me.Serves 8.Ingredients:4 baking potatoes (or three large potatoes)6 cups milk (preferably low-fat)2/3 cup flourGreen onions3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese2/3 cup reduced-fat sour creamsalt & pepper
Bake potatoes at 400 degrees for about an hour, or in the microwave (4 minutes per potato).  Scoop out the insides of the potatoes into a large bowl and coarsely mash. Place flour in a large stockpot, gradually add milk, stirring (or whisking) until mixed. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until flour-milk mixture is thick. Stir in mashed potatoes, and add cheddar cheese and salt & pepper, stirring until cheese is melted. Reduce heat and add in sour-cream and green onions. Serve while warm. May add more sour cream, green onions, and cheddar cheese.  I highly recommend doing this. Also, bacon is a good and acceptable topping.      



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

GOBOOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger