Derby Pie. A gift from my in-laws.

4.19.2012

I have a pathetic sweet tooth.  Given the choice, I would always choose an overly salted batch of french fries over a piece of cake.  I prefer a slice of quiche over a muffin, tortilla chips over an Oreo.  And much to my husband's dismay, I really don't have much of a liking for ice cream.  I do however, have a weakness for chocolate chip cookies.  And Derby Pie is basically one big rich chocolate chip cookie... in a pie crust.
I encountered this loveliness the first time I visited Brad's family in San Diego.  We'd only been dating for three months, and I was quite honestly scared out of my mind.  I wanted so bad for them to like me.  But I'm fairly certain I only spoke when spoken to (not due to manners, rather a survival technique).   I'm sure they were wondering... who is the quiet, shy, non-communicative girl that you've brought home?  









They, on the other hand, were absolutely wonderful.  And Derby Pie made me feel a whole lot less awkward. Plus it gave me an excuse to be quiet.  



Derby Pie
Waidelich Family.


Preheat 350 degrees.


1 9" refrigerate pre-made pie crust
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1 stick of butter (melted and cooled)
1 cup chocolate chips 
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup walnuts (optional - I'm sure my mother would disagree)


1.  Combine sugar and flour, mix together.  Add in beaten eggs and melted butter. 
2.  Mix in chocolate chips and vanilla.
3.  Place unbaked pie crust into a 9" pie dish, form edges.
4.  Pour mixture into pie crust.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Hard golden shell will form on top, middle will never completely set.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

GOBOOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger