Skillet Carbonara

2.16.2012

I think I now understand the carb in CARBonara. It's atrocious. In the best sense of the word. 

This was our first attempt at a recipe from Cooking for Two by America's Test Kitchen.  More like "cooking for 4". Or "two with left-overs for tomorrow's lunch".  We agreed that next time we make this we will either add more pasta to temper the sauce a bit, or add less cheese.  This is more for the well being of our bodies than anything, following the recipe as-is produces a superb, and indulgent meal.


Now, I can't take much credit for the actual construction of this meal.  I acted more as sous chef/wine drinker in the corner.  In my defense I found the recipe, and cooked the black-pepper crusted bacon (compliments of Whole Foods).  But my talented husband performed most of the actual preparation, cooking, and clean-up. 





I'm really not that lazy, I promise.  I'm just a threat to myself and those around me when I'm handling razor sharp knives and kitchen tools. Such as a cheese grater. Which grated the top of my right ring finger just as I was nearing the end of grating an entire block of romano cheese. So close. Victory was upon me, and then, the cheese block began to disappear, and my finger got a little to fresh with the grater.  Like I said, so close. 

The good news is I survived, and so did the carbonara. In fact I think the carbonara thrived. Don't just take my word for it, try it yourself. Just keep those fingers close. 




Skillet Carbonara Casserole
(serves "2")


Adapted from Cooking for Two, by America's Test Kitchen


4 slices of bacon
1 slice of sandwich bread
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper 
1/2 cup evaporated milk 
1 large egg 
6 oz (1 3/4 cup) penne pasta 
1 1/4 cup romano cheese 
1/2 cup white wine
2 1/4 cup of water 
1/2 cup vegetable broth 
2 garlic gloves 


1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet, until crispy and fully cooked (about 8 minutes). Save the fat. 


2. Pulse 1 tablespoon cooked bacon, 2 teaspoons reserved bacon fat, 2 tablespoons of grated romano, slice of bread, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a food processor until coarsely ground (about six pulses).  In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining cheese, milk, egg, and vegetable broth, set aside. 


3. Add teaspoon of fat to the skillet and heat until shimmering.  Add minced garlic and cook about 30 seconds, careful not to burn the garlic. Add wine and cook until the wine is reduced to about 2 tablespoons (about 3 minutes). Add water and pasta, salt, and pepper. Bring to a rapid simmer, cover and and let simmer, stirring often, until most of the water is absorbed (about 10-15 minutes, more like 15) - even though it seems like a lot of water it will absorb.


4. Remove from heat, and add egg mixture and the rest of the bacon. When combined and cheese is melted, move from skillet to an 8 x 8 pan (pyrex). Broil for about 2-3 minutes until the bread crumb topping is golden and crispy. 


Let cool. Then enjoy. And possibly watch Marley and Me and cry an embarrassing amount (that may or may not be what we did...). 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

GOBOOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger